What life is all about

What life is all about

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Beauty in Strength Challenge

I'm really nervous and can't believe that I'm really posting these pictures. I've been thinking about it all night long, and I've decided to share these because of the huge impact this challenge has had on both Josh and I.

Where we workout at (crossfit cache valley) put on a Challenge to anyone that wanted to face it. The owner and trainer of CFCV (Brad) has always sworn up and down that the way we eat will not only affect the way we look but also our performance during workouts and the way we feel throughout the day. So he challenged us to change and follow a totally different way to eat and fuel our bodies for 9 weeks this way and if we did that then we would see the results. In order to gauge these results we had to do 3 things.

1-Take a 'before and after' picture to see the physical change within 9 weeks
2-Write a food log of EVERYTHING we put in our mouths for the entire 9 weeks
3-Do a workout at the beginning of the challenge and make a goal to beat that same workout in 9 weeks. Whether that be through heavier weights or doing it faster.

So we took our pictures (so terrible for me), started our food logs and set our goals. The food plan that we were advised to follow was either the Paleo diet or the Zone diet. Brad understood that was some huge changes for some of us so we were encouraged to do our best for 2 weeks, turn in our food logs then and he would guide us from there. We chose the Zone diet (paleo is too strict for me right now)

The workout the both Josh and I chose was called the filthy fifty. This is what that is...

50 jumping pull-ups
50 box jumps
50 Kettle Bell swings
50 walking lunges
50 knees to elbows
50 push press
50 back extensions
50 wall balls
50 burpees
50 Double Unders

You do all these things and you must do all 50 before you go to the next movement. The catch..you must do this as fast has you can.

My time- 32:00
Josh's time- 31:57

So......here are our 'before and after' pictures from only 9 weeks of following this plan.


















If you think there is quite a bit of change in the pictures, then I wish you could understand the change in how I feel. I feel almost like a totally different person now. I'm full of energy, I'm in a better mood, and for the first time in a long time, I actually feel strong and way more powerful. At first when I started this I was weak and feel drained because I took all the bad carbs but as the weeks went on I started feeling better, stronger, faster and just more 'alive'. Then after about a month, I couldn't believe the change in my workouts. I was moving up to heavier weights then I ever that I would be able to do, I've become so much better. At the end of the 9 weeks I turned in my food log and the last thing I had to do was my beat my time in my workout. I was super, super nervous. I felt like this was the time it would should my true results.
Final time
Me- 27:11.... I shaved almost 5 minutes off my time!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Josh- 30:16 ......Josh shaved almost 2 minutes off his time!!!!!!!!!!!
So needless to say, we saw HUGE result in this 9 weeks. This is something we totally plan on sticking to, and I can't wait to look even better (and that's the plan)
I love the zone diet, I eat more then I have ever in my life. It's crazy how food can really work in your favor the more you eat it when it's the right stuff. I'm never hungry and I know I'm getting healthier every day.
Last but not least~
Josh got 2nd place in this Challenge in the Men's category and I got 2nd place in the Partner's category along with my partner Mindee Nyman who worked just as hard as we did and she looks amazing!!!
If you want to get in shape and feel better then you ever have in your life, you should really look into crossfit. It IS the BEST program you'll ever find!! Just click on the crossfit picture and it will take you to their website!



2 comments:

  1. Way to go! What a difference changing your eating habits can do. A couple months ago I did "The Game On Diet" with some friends. I don't know what the Zone diet includes (I'm gonna check it out though) but the one I did basically had me cut out all sugar, eat 5 small meals a day, drink a lot more water, and eat whole grain foods. Wow! I dropped weight, felt great, and was hardly ever hungry. Good job meeting your goals! You really do look fabulous. I want your abs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAY TO GO!!! you both look awesome!

    ReplyDelete